I passed my NCLEX!! Which is a HUGE relief. I then took two days where I did a whole lot of nothing 🙂 I did a lot of wedding crafts but that’s about it. I have made 250 drink stir-sticks, a sign for our Jr. Bridesmaid to carry down the aisle, and started framing family pictures for displays… my goal is to be on top of everything I can be so then I only have to do programs, seating charts, and escort cards come October. We’ll see if that actually happens.
Anyway, you all probably don’t read this to know about my wedding. I did a new leg workout today but I also tried a new combination for a smoothie and made the clean eating jambalaya again so I’m going to put those in the main post and then I’ll put a second post with the workout. I need to figure out how to add tabs into my page so I can break up workout and recipes…
The smoothie was about an hour before my workout and I had run out of milk so it was a bit of a scavenger hunt for a creamy base… I then discovered there was a single serving vanilla ice cream in the freezer (perfect since it was pre-workout).
- 1/2 C brewed coffee (if your stomach can handle it, coffee 30 min to an hour before a workout can be beneficial both for the energy and also muscle recovery)
- 1/4 C milk (or however much was left in the carton…)
- single serving vanilla ice cream
- 1 banana
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1/2 tbsp flax seed
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 6 cubes of ice
Blend all together and enjoy!
But for something more substantial… try this clean eating jambalaya. I’ve posted it before but figure it can’t hurt to post it again if you missed it. It’s from Oxygen Magazine, I played with some of the amounts.
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped (green works too and is less expensive if you’re watching the budget)
- 2 garlic clove, minced
- Cajun Chicken Sausage (I use an organic brand, look for simple ingredients… chicken and spices should be all that’s in it, also try to choose a lower sodium option)
- 1/2 cup dry quinoa
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can no sodium added tomatoes
- 1/4 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined (I use more chicken than shrimp but that’s just personal taste)
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 green onion, sliced thinly (optional topping)
Chop the vegetables; In a large skillet saute onion, zucchini, pepper, and garlic in canola oil for approx. 5 min. Add quinoa and toss to coat. Add tomatoes, sausage (assuming pre-cooked: if not, add in with vegetables in step 1), and chicken broth, bring to boil and then reduce heat to simmer for 10 min. Add shrimp and cook until shrimp are done. Finish with salt and pepper to taste and top with green onion.
Basic nutrition info and original recipe here: http://www.oxygenmag.com/Nutrition/Articles/Quinoa-Jambalaya.aspx but remember it will vary a bit depending on which ingredients you use.