Sunday is usually pancake or french toast day in our house… or just anything other than our normal weekday breakfasts of eggs. So last night I was looking through Pinterest (as usual) and came across Quinoa Pancakes from FitSugar. I edited the recipe a bit but the picture is from them since I didn’t get one this morning before hubby started eating them 😉 To be honest, they looked like pancakes.
- 1 C cooked quinoa
- 3/4 C flour (I use a Gluten Free blend, whole grain would work too)
- pinch of baking soda (about 1 tsp)
- pinch of salt (maybe 1/2 tsp)
- 1 egg, 1 egg white
- 1 tbsp melted butter **next time I’m going to try substituting apple sauce instead, I think it would work really well for this
- 1/4 C 1% milk
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup (agave would prob. work)
- bananas or berries to serve
- Whisk together flour, quinoa, baking soda, and salt. Then whisk in milk, eggs, syrup, almond, and butter.
- Coat skillet with baking spray (I use canola oil) and heat over med-high
- Drop batter into skillet and cook until bubble appear on top- flip and cook on other side until light brown. Serve with fresh fruit toppings.
We used bananas since it was what we had in the house. Hubby liked it with some apple butter and banana on it. I liked it with just the fresh fruit topping.
Estimate of nutrients per 1 pancake: 73 Cal, 2.4g Protein, 2.3g sugar, .5g fiber, 11.8g carbs, 1.8g fat