Remember during my meal prep how I was running low on eggs? Well this morning I was out of eggs (oops) and my normal go to of yogurt and granola just wasn’t going to cut it. As I was running through ideas in my head I remembered that I had seen you can substitute ground flax for egg. Inspired by this Minimalist Baker recipe I was a little skeptical but decided to try it. Oh my word, it completely exceeded my expectations.
First I mixed the flaxseed and almond milk and just let that sit for a couple minutes before mixing in the other ingredients. Once it was all mixed I pour it onto a plate so I can soak the bread. I use Rudi’s Gluten Free multi-grain bread, if you aren’t gluten free any whole wheat bread should work.
I served it with fresh strawberries and just a touch of maple syrup. To be honest I think I liked it better than the french toast we normally make (sorry hubby).
- 1 C almond milk
- 3 Tbsp flax meal/ground flax
- 1/2 Tbsp cinnamon (this one’s an estimate, I didn’t measure)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1/2-1 Tbs coconut oil
- 4-5 slices of bread
- Combine flax seed and almond milk in a small bowl and let sit approx. 2 min
- Mix in cinnamon, vanilla and maple syrup and pour combination onto a plate
- Dip bread for about 30 seconds on both sides (enough for it to soak in the mixture)
- Heat coconut oil on skillet to grease the pan
- Place soaked bread in skillet and cook until bottom is golden brown, then flip bread and cook until both sides are browned
- Top with fruit and/or syrup of choice and enjoy!
Nutrition estimate (I used My FitnessPal): Serving size 2-2.5 pieces: 305 Cal, 13 g Fat, 50 g carbs, 6 g protein
11 g sugar, 9 g fiber, 465 mg sodium