To be honest, I am still adjusting to the effects being pregnant has on working out. And since my body will be constantly changing I suspect the adjusting will be a continual thing through this pregnancy. The biggest adjustment for me is having to slow down. Today I was winded after a set of twelve rows to tricep kickbacks. I had to take a nap after I mowed the yard (to be fair mowing in the middle of the afternoon heat probably wasn’t my best idea). I don’t like it but it is what it is. All of this is to say, make the adjustments you need to but just keep moving. Staying active is one of the best things you can do for your baby and yourself.
I plan to keep posting workouts and recipes as I have always done. I just ask that all of you non-preggo readers don’t judge ones that seem light or easy. I’ll admit there are days I have probably taken it easier than I need to and there have been more days than I’d like to admit that I’ve given in to some less than healthy cravings. But, I am doing the best I can to both stay in shape and take care of my baby. Honestly, I’m also probably being a little more cautious in some ways (and lenient in others) than needed since it’s my first pregnancy.
Alright, down to the good stuff. Here’s my arm workout from today:
- 15 push-ups (adapt by dropping to knees if needed)
- 12 bent over rows to tricep kickbacks
- 12/arm weighted cross punches (use light weights, control your movement)
- 15 tricep dips
- 12 chest presses on BOSU
- 12 skull crushers
- 30 sec. straight arm planks
As I’ve said multiple times now, every pregnancy is different. If your doctor has told you not to workout or has given you guidelines, follow them. If your doctor has cleared you to workout (like most of them will and should for healthy pregnancies) then I hope you keep reading and give some of the workouts a try!
And of course… a bump update.
10 weeks on the left and 13 weeks on the right
Lastly, if you are expecting or know someone who is, don’t forget about the huge For Two Fitness Giveaway going on now and the 25% off discount with code FITANDBUSY!
As I mentioned a couple days ago, For Two Fitness is doing a huge giveaway starting today! You can see my original post here or just scroll down for more details.
Grand Prize Giveaway items:
All you have to do is go to their blog and follow the directions on the entry form. So simple for so many huge prizes!
Happy Mother’s Day to all the moms and moms to be out there! I also want to say “you are amazing” to anyone who has lost a child or who has been unable to have a child. You are all awesome.
Hubby was gone today so I was left to my own devices for dinner. I decided on turkey burgers but I don’t have the patience to use our charcoal grill and didn’t want to spend a ton of time on dinner when it’s just for me. So, I skipped the fresh chopped veggies I usually put in and used the broiler in the oven. In about 20-30 min. I had delicious, juicy turkey burgers.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1.25 lbs lean ground turkey (get the 93%, not 99% if your diet allows)
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 egg white
- 1.5 tbsp hot sauce (I use Frank’s)
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
Optional toppings: Fresh onion, lettuce or spinach, cheese… any of your favorites!
- With clean hands, combine all ingredients in medium mixing bowl
- Once turkey is well mixed, form 6 patties (about 3/4″ thick) and place on broiler tray (you could use a baking sheet with edges)
- Oven rack should be approx. 6″ from broiler
- With broiler on low, cook burgers approx. 8 min on each side
- Once burgers are golden brown and inside temp. has reached 165 degrees, remove from oven
- Place on lettuce wrap or bun and enjoy! **Gluten Free note: Pictured is Rudi’s GF Multigrain Bread, Udi’s makes GF buns but I find they’re usually too thick
As you know, I got selected as a For Two Fitness ambassador.. Since I’m getting to the point that my clothes are just a bit tight for comfort, I LOVE having their tops and capris to hit the gym in. They are so comfortable and have awesome sayings. I get compliments every time I wear their tops. For Mother’s Day, this company is doing an amazing giveaway that starts on Monday! See the details from the company below…
This year, we are celebrating Mother’s Day all week! We are so thankful to YOU — our community, customers, friends, moms and moms-to-be. To express our thanks, we are hosting a huge giveaway this week in partnership with some amazing brands and our ambassadors. The Grand Prize is valued at more than $1000. We have phenomenal prizes, from Joovy, Garmin, Feetures, Sara Haley and us, For Two Fitness – all facets of your fit mom lifestyle are in this prize pack!As soon as I get more information, I’ll pass it on to you!
Like most busy people, I love a good Crockpot meal.You can make a ton of food with the same amount of effort (or less) that it would take you to make a normal dinner.
Last night we celebrated hubby’s birthday a bit early and he wanted a simple dinner at home… which meant I had the time and excuse to try a new recipe 🙂 It was a rainy day yesterday so based off this Catz in the Kitchen recipe, I decided to try a slow cooker chicken chili. Per usual, I made some adjustments.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1½ lbs boneless, skinless/boneless chicken breast
- 1 (15 oz can) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz can) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz can) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth (can sub water)
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4-5 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tbsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp salt
Optional toppings: Light Sour Cream or Plain Greek Yogurt, Shredded Cheddar Cheese, Cilantro
- Peel and chop sweet potatoes into approx. 1 inch squares
- Place 1 cup liquid at bottom of crockpot, layer in chicken and sweet potatoes
- Top with beans, tomatoes, garlic, and spices
- Cook on low for 2 hours, then add in fresh onions and pepper and cook on high for another 2 hours (you can just add it all in at the start and cook on low for 6 hours per original recipe)
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred then add chicken back in and stir into other ingredients.
- Serve with favorite toppings and enjoy!