As part of my attempt to gain some weight I made sure to get my meal prep in this week. I stocked up on yogurt and snack bars and then made some steak, veggies, and a delicious chicken chili. I pretty much combined the Jamie Eason’s Turkey Chili recipe and this Chicken and Sweet Potato recipe based off what I had in the house. It looks like a lot of ingredients but I think I had everything combined and cooking in my slow cooker in about 20-30 minutes. I never cook my chicken for more than 4 hours in the slow cooker but I know most recipes call for 6 hours on low, just make sure it’s cooked all the way through.
- 1½ lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast (I used 3 large chicken breasts)
- 1 (15 oz can) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz can) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz can) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth (can sub water)
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp yellow mustard
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 – 1 tsp salt
- Optional: 1-2 tbsp brown sugar (I didn’t use it and the chili definitely has a kick!)
- Place 1 cup liquid and diced tomatoes in crock pot
- Add in chicken, rinsed beans, spices and onions
- Cook on low for approx. 3 hours, shred chicken and place back in chili.
- Cook on low for another hour.
Optional toppings: Plain yogurt, Sour Cream, Cheddar Cheese, Fresh Cilantro