Like most busy people, I love a good Crockpot meal.You can make a ton of food with the same amount of effort (or less) that it would take you to make a normal dinner.
Last night we celebrated hubby’s birthday a bit early and he wanted a simple dinner at home… which meant I had the time and excuse to try a new recipe 🙂 It was a rainy day yesterday so based off this Catz in the Kitchen recipe, I decided to try a slow cooker chicken chili. Per usual, I made some adjustments.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1½ lbs boneless, skinless/boneless chicken breast
- 1 (15 oz can) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz can) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz can) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth (can sub water)
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4-5 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tbsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp salt
Optional toppings: Light Sour Cream or Plain Greek Yogurt, Shredded Cheddar Cheese, Cilantro
- Peel and chop sweet potatoes into approx. 1 inch squares
- Place 1 cup liquid at bottom of crockpot, layer in chicken and sweet potatoes
- Top with beans, tomatoes, garlic, and spices
- Cook on low for 2 hours, then add in fresh onions and pepper and cook on high for another 2 hours (you can just add it all in at the start and cook on low for 6 hours per original recipe)
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred then add chicken back in and stir into other ingredients.
- Serve with favorite toppings and enjoy!